This delicious side dish is packed with nutrients and tastes like it comes straight from Tuscany. The baby lima beans are smooth and buttery and the puttanesca adds enough saltiness that you don’t even have to season it. Serve this up with some grilled halibut or broiled white fish and a buttery chardonnay and you can’t go wrong!
- 1 cup dried baby lima beans presoaked overnight
- 3 cups water
- 1 strip of kombu* optional
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3/4 cup green olives
- 2 teaspoons capers
- ½ of a large yellow onion
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes soaked in olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 anchovies or 1-2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups shredded greens e.g. kale, Swiss chard, dandelion greens, or beet greens
- ¼ cup olive oil
In a large pot, combine lima beans, water and kombu. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and allow the beans to simmer for approximately 40 minutes, or until tender.
Drain the beans and remove the kombu. In a food processor or blender, combine olives, capers, onion and sundried tomatoes and pulse the mixture until it is coarsely chopped.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add blended olive mixture and sauté for approximately 5 minutes, until onions start to become translucent. Add anchovies and garlic. Mix in the shredded greens and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the cooked beans and combine all ingredients over medium heat. Serve warm or at room temp.