Turnips are one of those misunderstood vegetables that can be versatile and fun to eat. This creamy, delicious soup showcases the mild flavor of this nutritious root vegetable. The leeks help bring out the sweetness of the turnips. You can add less liquid and make this into a puree and top it with a piece of grilled fish or lamb.
- 5 medium-size turnips peeled and chopped (can leave the peel on if turnips are small)
- 2 leeks
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- Wash leeks thoroughly to remove any dirt that settles between the layers. Remove the dark green portion of the leeks and coarsely chop the remaining white and light green portions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the turnips and leeks and saute until leeks become translucent and turnips are tender.
- Transfer leeks and turnips to a food processor or high-power blender (can also use an immersion blender). Blend while adding broth until the mixture gets to your desired texture. Transfer the blended mixture to a saucepan, add salt and tarragon and heat before serving.