Roasting the potatoes and leeks adds a whole new dimension to this classic soup. The leeks become almost buttery when roasted. The mushroom broth ties it all together and adds a sophisticated rich quality. Yummy, yum, yum!
Roasted Potato Leek Soup
- 5-6 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1" cubes
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 leeks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Chop potatoes into one-inch cubes, toss with 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil and transfer to baking sheet or roasting pan. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard roots and green tops from leeks. Wash thoroughly under running water to remove grit. Cut white portions into large slices, toss with 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil and salt and add to the baking sheet with the potatoes. Roast potatoes and leeks together for an additional 10 minutes.
- Transfer roasted potatoes and leeks to a food processor. Add garlic, mushroom broth, herbs, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Reheat and serve.