Bean soups are hearty and nutritious and this Tuscan-inspired soup is no exception. Experiment with your favorite vegetables, but don’t forget the Swiss chard. It’s a great way to get more greens into your diet!
Tuscan White Bean Soup
1 hr 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium scallion chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 large red pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup dried Italian herbs1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ - 2 cups water
- 1 15- ounce can white Cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup brown rice
- 3 cups washed and chopped Swiss chard or fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium heat.
Sauté the scallion, onion, peppers and garlic until the onion is lightly browned.
Add the Italian herbs and tomatoes and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add broth, water, beans and rice and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes.
Stir in the chard or spinach and continue simmering for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.