Cauliflower is an underappreciated vegetable. But roasting it with leeks and seasoning with turmeric and cumin give it a rich, delicious flavor that blends perfectly into a soup. You could also use less broth and create mock mashed potatoes.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Gremolata
- 1 large head cauliflower broken down into florets
- 1 leek white part only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl, toss cauliflower and leeks with grapeseed oil, tumeric and cumin. Spread cauliflower and leeks on baking sheet, add coarse salt and roast in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, until leeks start to brown.
- Transfer roasted cauliflower and leeks to a food processor. Add broth and coconut milk and blend well. You may add more broth or water to get to the desired consistency. Pour mixture into a saucepan and heat over low heat until ready to serve.
- To make gremolata, zest lemon into a food processor. Add parsley, garlic and olive oil. Blend until well combined.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Add a spoonful of gremolata to each bowl and serve immediately.